Custodianship for minor students

Custodianship for minor students

Prices from 500 $

In Canada, each province and territory decides the age when a person is considered to be an adult. This is known as the age of majority. A person under the age of majority is considered to be a “minor child".

Alberta, Manitoba, Ontario, Prince Edward Island, Quebec, Saskatchewan 18
British Columbia, New Brunswick, Newfoundland and Labrador, Northwest Territories, Nova Scotia, Nunavut, Yukon 19

What documents to bring to study in Canada

In addition to the documents needed to enter Canada, a minor will need additional documents if he is less than 17 years of age and comes to Canada to study without a parent or legal guardian. The minor must be cared for by a responsible adult in Canada. This person is known as a custodian. In some cases, a custodian may also be needed for minor children between 17 years of age and the age of majority in the province or territory of the educational institution where they intend to study. This will be at the discretion of an immigration officer.

A minor will need two notarized documents to study in Canada. A notarized document is a document that has been certified by a notary.

  • The first notarized document must be signed by the parents or legal guardians of the minor child in the child’s country of origin. 
  • The second notarized document must be signed by the custodian in Canada.

Custodianship requires that legal arrangements be made to give the custodian in Canada permission to act in place of a parent. Complete the Custodian Declaration Form (PDF, 1.02 MB)

An immigration officer must be satisfied that adequate arrangements have been made for the care and support of minor children who travel to Canada to study.

Submit your application