Immigrants Glossary

Immigrants Glossary
25 expressions you should know if you intend to immigrate to Canada
Approved in principle / Approval in principle (AIP) – it means that you have received a letter from IRCC
stating that you meet the permanent residence eligibility requirements, but you still have to pass the
medical, security and background checks for you and, if needed, your family members.
Bridging open work permit – an open work permit which lets you keep working while you wait for the
results of your permanent residence application.
Canadian Experience Class (CEC) - an immigration category that allows foreign workers or recently
graduated international students working in Canada to apply for permanent residence.
Canadian Language Benchmarks (CLB) - the Canadian standard used to describe, measure and recognize
English language ability of adult immigrants and prospective immigrants who plan to live and work in
Canada, or apply for citizenship.
Comprehensive ranking system (CRS) - a points-based system used to assess and score a candidate’s
Express Entry profile to rank them against other candidates in the pool.
Co-op/Internship Work Permit – a document which allows students to work full-time during their
internship in Canada.
Designated Learning Institution (DLI) - a school approved by a provincial or territorial government to
host international students.
Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) - an entry requirement for visa-exempt foreign nationals travelling
to Canada by air.
Express Entry (EE) - an electronic system to manage applications for these immigration programs:
Federal Skilled Worker Program, Federal Skilled Trades Program, Canadian Experience Class or a portion
of the provincial nominee program.
The Federal Skilled Worker Program (FSWP) – an immigration program aimed at assisting applicants
who are highly skilled, have a degree or tertiary qualification and meet the general criteria of the
Express Entry system.
The Federal Skilled Trades Program (FSTP) – an immigration program aimed at assisting applicants who
are skilled and meet the general requirements of the Express Entry System. There is no education
Invitation to Apply (ITA) - An invitation to apply is a document issued by IRCC to candidates in the
Express Entry pool. With an Invitation to Apply, a candidate may apply for Canadian permanent

IRCC - Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada
Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) - a document that an employer in Canada must usually get
before hiring a foreign worker. A positive LMIA shows that there is a need for a foreign worker to fill the
job and that no Canadian worker can do the job.
Landing - The final interview with an immigration officer at either a port of entry or a local IRCC office
within Canada, during which an applicant becomes a permanent resident.
Letter of introduction - it is the letter you receive from IRCC if you are approved for a: study permit,
work permit, or Super Visa (only if you are from a country that does not require a visitor visa). You must
show this letter to officials at the port of entry when you arrive in Canada to get your study or work
National Occupational Classification (NOC) - a list of all the occupations in the Canadian labor market. It
describes each job according to skill type and skill level.
Open work permit - a type of work permit that allows a person to work for any employer in Canada
Permanent Resident (PR) - a person who has legally immigrated to Canada but is not yet a Canadian
Police certificate - an official copy of a person’s criminal record, or a declaration that they do not have a
criminal record.
Port of entry - a place where a person may seek entry into Canada, such as at an airport, land or marine
border crossing.
Post-graduation work permit (PGWP) – a permission to remain in Canada and work full time for up to 3
years after you graduate from a Canadian post-secondary institution.
Provincial Nominee Program (PNP) - a program that allows provinces and territories to nominate
candidates for immigration to Canada.
Study permit - a document which allows foreign nationals to study at designated learning institutions
(DLI) in Canada.
Temporary resident - a foreign national who is in Canada legally for a short period. Temporary residents
include students, foreign workers and visitors, such as tourists.